Drivers Licensing

Our office has moved to their new location at

Sandpoint Office

4105 N. Boyer Road

Sandpoint, ID

Phone: 208-265-1431

Our Sandpoint Office is open from 9:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, (excluding holidays).

Disabled or Senior Citizens (65+) hour: 9-15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.; all other customers will be required to reserve a time on a daily sign-in sheet and enter the building five (5) minutes prior to reserved time.  NO SCHEDULING IN ADVANCE OR BY TELEPHONE.


Priest River Office

75 Eastside Road

Priest River, ID

Phone: 208-448-2816.

Open Monday through Friday  from 9:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, (excluding holidays).  Closes briefly for lunch.  Call if you are planning to go around noon.

If you need to do any testing, please be there before 3:00 p.m. to allow adequate time.


Q: What do I need to get an Idaho Driver’s License or I.D. card?

A:  You will need a driver’s license/I.D. card from your former state, your Social Security number, and proof of residency (see following question and answer).  You will also need to take a written test (explained below).

Q: What do I need to show proof of residency?

A: You will need one of the following: a current utility bill, rental or lease contract, paycheck stub with name and physical address, government mail, residency affidavit, bank statement, or automobile insurance. 

Q: Do I have to take a test?

A:  If you have a current valid driver’s license from another state, you will only be required to take a written test.

Q: What are the fees for a driver’s license?

A:  Ages 18-21 (3 yr) $30.00; over 21 yrs of age (4 yr) $35.00 or (8 yr) $60.00. Note, anyone over the age of 63 is issued a 4 year license only.

Q: What are the fees for an Idaho I.D. card?

A:   Under 21 yrs of age $10.00.  Anyone over 21 yrs of age (4 yr) $15.00 (8 yr) $25.00.

Q: I just got married, so how do I change my name on my Idaho Driver’s License/I.D. card?

A:   You will need to bring your Certified Marriage Certificate into the Driver’s License Office and we can issue you a new license under your married name.

Q: I lost my Idaho Driver’s License. How do I get another one?

A:   Duplicate/or replacing a lost or stolen Driver’s License is $20.00

Q: What documents do I need to get my child a Driver’s Training Permit?

A:   You will need a certified birth certificate, Social Security number, school ID card, or yearbook photo, verification of enrollment in school and a natural parent or guardian, who possesses a valid Idaho License must sign for liability. The child will be required to take a vision exam so if your child wears glassess, please bring them.

For more information click here.


Q: Do I need to let you know when I have a change of address?

A:   Yes, you have 30 days to report your change of address.

Q: How do I get a motorcycle permit?

A:   You must have an Idaho Driver’s License that is current for at least 6 months, and pass a motorcycle written test.

Q: How do I contact the Motor Vehicle Department for title liens and vehicle licensing?

A:  You can reach them at (208) 265-1430.

Q: How do I express a comment, compliment or concern about my experience?

You can reach the Sandpoint office at (208) 265-1431 or (208) 448-2816 for the Priest River office.

If you’d like to comment on your experience at one of the Drivers’ License Offices, please click here to complete the form and submit it to us. Click here: Comment Card

For more specific information regarding driver’s licenses please use the following link:

Idaho DMV

Q. What is a Star Card and when do I have to get one?

A. The Star Card is an Idaho driver’s license or ID that adds a Star to show it is in compliance with REAL ID security standards passed by Congress in 2005. Beginning May 3rd, 2023, you will need to have a Star Card or another accepted form of ID, such as a passport, to fly commercially or access a federal facility, national laboratory, or military base.  For more information, including what is needed to apply for a Star Card, please use the following link: